Monday 23 January 2017

Much Ado About My Birthday

For once, I wasn't travelling to London this weekend with my stomach in nervous knots.

I got two tickets to see the RSC's Much Ado About Nothing for Christmas, and luckily the date coincided perfectly with my birthday weekend. Look at that for timing *smirk emoji*

London was beautiful as ever, even covered in frost and freezing everyones tits off; she was all blue skies and proud old buildings, the Saturday shoppers making the most of the dry weather and the warm welcome of a café.



My sister accompanied me to the show - it's become a tradition, really, that any tickets I get for plays or day trips, she's always my plus one.


She looks especially happy about it.

I love going on adventures with her - who wouldn't want to spend the day confronted with that face at every slight inconvenience? (God, never take my sister to a tube station in rush hour. Her anger makes her a danger to society.)

No, honestly, it's always a blast. She makes me laugh like no one else can, and every play I see is made all the more special because she's with me. And this one was no different - she even bought me icecream. What a babe.


Sisters who Gourmet Burger Kitchen together win together.


Thank you, Baker Street, for filling the Sherlock-shaped hole in my life.



The best part about going to London is practically being able to feel the creative buzz around the city. Home of theatre, art, music, and many a drama school I've applied for, it feels like home away from home. I'm both inspired and despairing -- my dreams of being onstage have never felt so far away as when I watch a fantastic production in a beautiful theatre, or see dozens of posters around the underground advertising upcoming shows. I want to be a part of it (New York, New York). And yet, acting has never felt so close to being a reality as when I'm watching an actor fumble their lines on stage, or when I'm part of the excited thrum of an audience as we wait for the curtain to open and the stage to be revealed.

I know those things. I've experienced both the actor's excitement and sickening nerves, and the audience's wonder and anticipation. And that's when acting doesn't feel so much of a pipe dream.

 After a hugely successful stint in Stratford at the RSC, Much Ado has arrived at the Theatre Royal Haymarket in London. One of Shakespeare's most performed plays, the production is set in a 1920's post-war extravaganza. There's live music, exquisite sets, and the acting is superb.




 We were two rows back from the front.


Much Ado About Nothing Production Photos_2016_Manuel Harlan _c_RSC_CFT_207801

Much Ado About Nothing Production Photos_2016_Manuel Harlan _c_RSC_CFT_207802
(From the RSC's website - look at that Christmas tree!)

 The actors were clearly comfortable in their roles, after having performed them for so long. It left room for adlibs, for a little play-off with the audience. Benedick's speeches when he was alone with the audience captured the charm of the play - he was self aware of how far-fetched his denial was about loving Beatrice, purposely hamming it up so that his remonstrations and "woe, I am scorned" tirades never became boring or ridiculous. If you're familiar with the scene where he overhears how Beatrice "loves" him, it perfectly hit the mark. I'm not usually a big fan of slapstick, but Much Ado - a play that revolves around farce and tricks - makes it work.

My birthday has been a quiet affair, just the way I wanted it. I spent it surrounded by warmth and love. I had a dress rehearsal first, but getting to wear period costumes on my birthday? I'm not complaining. I got bought fancy champagne, more tickets to shows and day's out (the other half knows me so well), and a whole cake with my face on it.

Hello, 21. I'm looking forward to what you have in store.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment